Thursday, January 15, 2015

Unus ad Infinitum

"Originality"

      Everyone is entitled to their lifestyles. This includes, but is not limited to, their choices in mates, décor, dress fashion, musical taste, palate, and lifestyle. That doesn't mean people won't judge you for it. People are coded to judge. To those religious folk, we are created to be in God's image, correct. Does God judge? To those not religious, I think it follows that you are somewhat determinist, and understand that people are results of their past experiences and environments. I have yet to see a society that does not just based on the aforementioned choices that decode our personality. I am getting beside the point.

I think Aaliyah is overrated.

      I do. It is my humble opinion. I have listened to all of her music, and some would place her upon the apex in her field. She's not in my top 7 hip-hop/ R&B females of all time.

Before I have people wanting to fight me I'll bring this into the point of the piece. I promise. (Check the alliteration, fam)

      Ironically, I decided to play One in a Million x Aaliyah to get me in the mood for this post. I'm not saying she isn't a good musician, but I do understand the effects of death on art. Music is art. I do not find it to be coincidence that Tupac and Biggie are dead, yet they are the "Kings of Hip-Hop", a title which I do not believe either of them necessarily deserves. I fall into the whole two Kings paradigm, but I think that may be because I was born more into the hip hop culture over the R&B one.  If Jay Z died tomorrow, in three years, I believe people would then INDISPUTABLELY take him #1. You don't have to believe me, just think about it. Either way, all 4 artists are extremely skilled, and were always themselves. They never tried to be different. They just tried to be themselves.

Deebo is coming, put your chain away.

Figuratively, anyway.

Seriously though  put your "Stuff" in the drawer.

#ButIWouldTuckItTho...#JKItsInTheDrawer
#BMade
#IfYouTuckYouGetSnuck
#WhenHeHereImmaBeQuietButWhenHeLeaveImmaBeShiningAgain

      So you're cruising down the street in your 6-4. Jockin the blips, slappin the stros... And you see someone who has the same shirt on. Some people will say... he has the same shirt I do OMG OMG I can't wear this shirt anymore.  NO NO NO. That's so silly. Why not compliment the person with similar tastes. A similar palate, if you will. Something similar to you. I think this is part of the reason people complain about having no friends... Because you talk to people who don't shop where you shop. In a consumer driven society, having similar customer tastes is big. This is an exaggeration, but my point is clear nonetheless. There is nothing wrong with having similarities. Your friends are supposed to be like you. People are going to judge you based off of your friends because of the old "birds of a feather...", right or wrong. I don't see society changing in that aspect ANY time soon. Get used to it, world-stopper. Being yourself means people will be like you. Trying to be something you are not ALSO includes TRYING to be different.
     Too often, people TRY to be different. This is something I see in my generation, because it is the one I am growing up in. I don't fall into the philosophy that this generation is so lost. LEAVE MY GENERATION ALONE. we're doing so much better than the last ones that got us in this mess. DONT LISTEN TO OLD PEOPLE WHEN THEY SAY EVERYTHING IS SO BAD. THEY INVENTED TWERKING. Old people love to say "Nothing new is under the sun" after we do something positive or that sounds good " i.e. a well flipped Isley Brothers sample or a socially conscious rapper, but are the first ones to say they don't know where we learned our bad habits. WE LEARNED THOSE FROM THEM. If you find a problem with your generation, do something to NOT be a part of the problem. If you do nothing, YOU ARE A PART OF THE PROBLEM. Accept responsibility. I am partially responsible for world hunger; I have done nothing to stop it. I am partially responsible for sexism in other nations; I have done nothing to stop it. A lot of the Civil Rights Movement was run my the YOUTH. Rebellions, uprising, wars, and revolutions are fought by the YOUng. Why not fight for a cause you believe in? Why not fight for control of your own brain?
     Also, if there is anything you want to be better yourself, do it today. Don't let these old people or your peers tell you that you can't do it. Nothing is new under the sun, and doubters are no different. Life is too short for you to be living someone else's dream, especially your parents' dreams.  There is only one you, so if you want something for yourself, a dream, a goal, a star, the only person who is going to be able to reach it for you is you.





 
Swimming in a pool of knowledge, do I dare to take a dip,




                                   Acid tabs to tongue tips, Black & white world till it prints,
 
 
 
 
When I'm high, I just glide, I'll just be a blimp. The lift won't end amicable, the fall may need a miracle, Till the tables turn, the world's my earth, I'm invincible.

No comments:

Post a Comment